Can I be fined for not reporting an accident with less than $500 damage?

Can I file a police report after 30 days? I was hit from behind with minor damage. The other driver didn’t want to report it to his insurance company. He promised to pay for the damage. He has reneged on this.

Asked on September 7, 2011 under Accident Law, Delaware


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you report the accident even though more than thirty (30) days have passed since the incident. You should report the accident to your insurance carrier as well as to law enforcement explaining the vent in detail and the fact that the other driver who hit you from behind offered to pay for the damages if the incident was not reported because he did not want his insurance carrier to know, but he has since refused to pay for the damages.

You need to take photographs of your car as well and send them to your insurance carrier.

In any auto accident you should make a prompt report about it in order to protect yourself regardless if the damages seem slight to the vehicle.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.