What can I do if I’m being falsely accused and charged with them by my employer?

Hi, I have been working with my company for 6 years, and have been accused of taking $16,000 that I do not have. At my place of work, I am the manager and employees and other managers all have to use my code for everything they do. Someone has been stealing from the register and they accused me of taking the money because of my code being used. They have no cameras to prove my innocence and have refused to investigate my finances when I asked them if they could in order to prove my innocence. They are threatening to press charges against me and I am in fear because I am currently in school to become an LPN and do not want my clean record to be tainted over a crime I did not commit. Where do I go from here?

Asked on June 9, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If they press charges:
1) Hire an attorney to defend against the charges: even if you feel they are baseless, if you don't respond properly and present your side of things/evidence properly, you could lose on that basis.
2) If they press charges, once you win (assuming you can show that they are baseless), discuss possibly suing them for malicious use of process (improperly using the legal system) and/or for defamation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.