Can I be evicted from employee housing without a agreement and or lease?

I worked for a resort that
has given myself and another
employee housing but didn’t
have us sign an agreement nor
a lease.

Asked on December 22, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Missouri


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Under this type of situation, you can be removed from your living premises and without the need for a formal eviction. Employer provided housing is a "perk" of the job, the same as a bonus, PTO  or any other benefit. Accordingly, absent an employment contract or union agreement to the contrary, such a privilge can be withdrawn at an employer's discretion. In an "at will" work relationship, a company can set the conditons of the workplace much as it sees fit (absent some form of legally actionable discrimination).

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can be removed from employer-provided housing. When you do not have a contract guarantying you the housing and are not a rent-paying tenant, it is simply a perk or benefit of your job voluntarily provided by your employer. When your employer provides benefits which are not guaranteed by a contract, they can be withdrawn by the employer at will. Based on what you write you are not entitled to the housing and can be asked to leave.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.