Can I be employed by a US corp as a non-resident alien?

I am not a US citizen and I don’t reside within the US. I currently have a
contractor agreement for software development services with a US corporation,
but there’s been mention of this relationship possibly advancing to full
employment with a standard salary and equity. If something like this were to
happen, I would still be working from my original country of residence and not
from the US. My question is whether this is possible to begin with, and if so
what would it require from either my end or the corporation’s end to make it

Asked on March 15, 2017 under Immigration Law, Alaska


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you are in your own country of residence and have full rights there in terms of employment, then you can work for whatever employer chooses to hire you in that country.  It should not matter whether it is a US company if that company is authorized to do business in your country.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.