Can I be deported if the person who petitioned for me to come to the US does not want me here anymore?

Asked on August 22, 2014 under Immigration Law, Minnesota


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, a person cannot have you deported; only immigration can and only if there is a basis for deportation/removal.  If you are in the US lawfully, then no one can deport you unless you have violated the law through criminal activity.  If your fiancee or spouse petitioned for you and the relationship is no longer bona fide, you can try to find other options for remaining in the US lawfully.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.