Can I be compensated if a cop tazes me by accident?

Ok so there was a shooting downtown and
probable 5 minutes went by and there
was a crowd surrounding the perimeter.
I’m in the crowd and a police officer
shoots his taser towards the crowd.
Failing to hit the intended recipient I
unfortunately get the prongs in me and
fall to the ground. I’ve done nothing
wrong? Where am I standing here?

Asked on May 9, 2017 under Personal Injury, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can certainly file a complaint with the police department, but unless you suffered some significant lasting injury or impairment or significant out-of-pocket medical bills, there is no point in suing. When someone injures you by accident (i.e. not deliberately), you can only recover compensation for the actual costs or injuries caused by the accident. Without significant injuries or costs, you will spend more on the lawsuit than you will get back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.