can I be compensated?

Im a master barber here in the city of livingston
TN. Due to 6 weeks of road, sidewalk
construction by the city or state not sure which.
I have lost so much of my walk in business due
to detours and road closures in front of my
salon. They still have several weeks of this to
go I cant survive and live on the small income
Im getting at this point Can I be compensated
for my lost wages?

Asked on June 8, 2018 under Business Law, Tennessee


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

The government has the right (even the obligation) to do maintennce or construction either on a road or raodside. Further, they are not responsible for compensating a business for any lost income as a result. Such compensation is only required when a government , person or entity does something that they do not have the legal right to do. 

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

No, you would not be entitled to compensation for this. Road or sidewalk construction or maintenance often inconveniences people or businesses; however, the government still has a clear legal right to do these things. People, businesses, or governments are not liable--that is, they do not have to pay you compensation--when they are doing what they are legally entitled to do; a right to compensation comes when someone does something they do not have a legal right to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.