Can I be charged with grand larcenyif I took some metal poles from a placeI worked if they could no longerbe usedfor their intended purpose?

They were used for a tent that no longer worked. It was going to be claimed on insurance. they are charging me with larceny and claim the value was $7,500. Since the item no longer worked to serve its purpose which was admitted by the owner, could I claim the value was substantially less and argue the value was $280 which was market price for the metal at the time that I sold it?

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Criminal Law, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you took items that did not belong to you without permission from the owner, you had no right to take the metal poles that you are writing about. Since you had no permission to take something that did not belong to you, you are now being charged with grand larceny for what you did.

I recommend that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to defend you with respect to the criminal charges you are now facing. Hopefully an experienced criminal defense attorney will assist in resolving this dispute to your satisfaction.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.