Can I be chaged with a possesion of a narcotic if a police officer searched my person without a warrant?

My finace and I were living in the woods in a tent when officers arrested him on a vprobabtion violation. We both were outside our tent and an officer went inside our tent with out a warrant and started searching my back pack and purse which were zipped and closed. He found narcotics in my purse and I was charged with possesion of a narcotic.

Asked on July 17, 2012 under Criminal Law, Connecticut


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Officers have a right to perform a "stop and frisk" of a person if they believe that a crime has been committed or that a person may be armed and dangerous. Although the police tend to take extreme liberties with this stop and frisk law, by your fiance having a an arrest warrant out due to the probation violation, and you being with him in an undisclosed area (tent), the officers will always claim that there safety was in question and that they performed both searches to be sure you and your fiance were not armed prior to them making the arrest in which the narcotics were found. Most Judges will find this type of search reasonable given the circumstances.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.