Can I be arrested for trespassing if I have a lease?

I have a lease with the previous landlord and he lost the house to the owner before him. The owner before him wanted to sell the house to me, I refused. Upon refusal, he demanded his money. I told him that I didn’t have it at the moment. He said we have the weekend to get out or I’d be arrested for trespassing. I called the police department and one officer said no and another officer says yes. My previous landlord refused/refuses to give me a copy of my lease. I’m mentally disabled and don’t know what my rights are and don’t have anywhere to go.

Asked on June 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Ok you have a lot going on here.  First, trespass is an unlawful intrusion.  THe elements are fairly similar from state to state: intentionally entering the property of another with out permission and staying there.  But you had a lease that was assumed by the new owner (also this is a generality and the facts and paperwork here need to be reviewed).  If nothing else you are a month to month tenant or a squatter.  You can be evicted though for failure to pay the rent.  If you are disabled plase go and speak with legal aid and get help from a local agency that can protect your rights.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.