Can I be appointed executor of my dead aunt’s estate?

Asked on August 13, 2013 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If no executor was designated in her Will (or no alternate was designated in the case of where the named executor cannot fulfill their duties) or if she had no Will, then an executor or administrator (sometimes known as a personal representative) will be appointed by the appropriate court (probate or surrogate's). Typically, this is a family member or close friend of the decedent. At this point, you can submit an application to the court to be so appointed. If you are the only applicant, you will most likely get the position. If not, and there are others who also want to ne named then the court will review all applications and appoint who it considers the best person for the job.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.