Can I avoid stringent state independent contractor laws that often require hiring an employee, by registering as a business and being subcontracted work?

I am faced with the option of moving to another state or giving up a job offer. The employer hires independent contractors in states throughout the country but the laws for independent contractors in my state are more stringent. Although the job is a work from home job, under the law in my state I would have to be hired as an employee, and the company (based out of another state) cannot afford hiring an employee. Therefore, I am faced with the option of losing a great job opportunity or leaving my husband and moving to another state to work from “home” so I can keep the job.

Asked on July 23, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

There are several possibilities to avoid the stringent independent contractor laws of the state that you reside in. They are as follows:

1. have an independent contractor's agreement drafted stating that it is entered into in the state where the company that you do work for is based and that the laws of that state shall apply. make sure you have a business attorney review such a document before you sign it;

2. create an entity such as a limited liability company or a corporation and have the business contract be entered into between your entity and the company that you want to do work for.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.