Can I attach a lien to property for unpaid spousal support?

My ex has stopped paying spousal support on his own without a court hearing. Our agreement states that support is non modifiable and based on the equalization of community property. I have filed a request for motion and know that the court will order him to continue to pay. If he doesn’t, I would like to know if I can place a lien on his property.

Asked on September 11, 2017 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

So you are doing the right thing by keeping up to date with Motion practice and having him comply with your agreement (which is a contract) but don't forget to add in the motion a request for a Judgement for any arrears.  Unless you have a Judgement you can not file a lien against real property.  See if there is any way to have the funds paid directly from his employer to you to avoid this nonsense.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.