Can I ask a judge that no points to be added to my licence?

I was caught speeding going 13 miles over the limit in a residential area. I want to know if I can ask the judge if I can pay the fine but not get points applied to my record.

Asked on December 20, 2017 under General Practice, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You don't and can't ask the judge: the judge is bound by the law, and you get whatever points the law assigns to your offense.
What you can and *should* do is speak to the prosecutor: show up early to court, to make sure you have the time. If you otherwise have a clean record, there is a reasonable chance he will let you plead to something (i.e. to a different infraction or offense) with fewer or no points (possibly at the cost of a higher fine; you can let him know that you want to avoid points but are willing to pay a larger fine, if that is the case). If the prosecutor offers you a better plea, 99%+ of the time, the judge will honor it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.