Can I ask a bar for their security camera footage to prove my case in an accident?

Also, on average, how long do I have to obtain the footage?

Asked on November 7, 2011 under Accident Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can ask the owner of the bar for a copy of security camera footage to assist you concerning an accident. Whether or not such is voluntarily provided remains to be seen. However, if you have an attorney and a lawsuit has been filed, the attorney can always have a subpoena issed for the footage that you write about.

The issue is whether or not the footage is still in existence. I would write the bar about the desired footage stating the date and time so that it can possibly make sure it is not destroyed. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.