Can i apply for citizenship ? i am on student visa right now

I have an uncle who is citizen here, now i am interested to apply for citizenship
as well. please help. thanks

Asked on October 3, 2017 under Immigration Law, Michigan


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You cannot file for citizenship or even a green card for that matter only on the basis of having a US citizen uncle.  You need to be sponsored by a family member such as parent, child, spouse or sibling or through employment-based process on the basis of a valid job offer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.