Can I apply for citizenship without my green card?

I am trying to become a citizen but recently I lost my green card. I reported it lost. But I would like to know if I can apply for my citizenship without it. I’ve been a permanent resident for over 5 years and now I can I apply

for it but I’m not sure I should with out it. I know I can replace it with $500 but I would just use it to apply for the citizenship that would cost me almost $800. However, if I don’t need to replace it it would save me money.

Asked on September 26, 2017 under Immigration Law, North Carolina


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can apply for your citizenship without replacing your green card but the burden of proof will be on you to provide proof of your green card status.  if you have copies of your green card or documentation of having submitted the application for the green card previously, as much supporting documentation as possible, that will increase the chances that you will not be denied because you did not prove your green card status.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.