Can I appeal a probation sentence that I feel a lawyer mislead me into accepting?

Asked on October 31, 2011 under Criminal Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can possibly appeal the sentence and the resulting probation that you entered into in the criminal matter you are writing about if in fact you were mislead about what you agreed to or your criminal defense attorney was not competent.

If you wish to appeal, you need to immediately retain a criminal defense attorney who is well experienced in criminal appeals to assist you in the endeavor you wish to proceed upon. Appeals are expensive and timely. Most appeals do not get the result desired by the person making the appeal.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.