Can I add my name to a house deed that my father owns with out being penalized?

I was told that the house would have to be willed to me because if not, I would have to pay taxes for all the years that my name was not on the deed?

Asked on August 31, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Maybe what they are trying to say is that property taxes stay with the proeprty and can become a lien there on.  In a regualr purchase and sale the seller would be responsible and it would be paid at closing or the buyer credited at closing.  In the event of your Father's death the estate would be responsible for paying the taxes.  They would not just "go away."   Get help from an attorney.  Good luck. 


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.