Can husband force me to go back to work?

We now have a 4 month old son. I’m a permanent resident and his father is a

citizen. I do not have any family in the U.S. and I do not feel comfortable having anyone other than me taking care of my son.

Asked on July 1, 2018 under Family Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

No, you are an adult and your own person: a spouse cannot compel or force you to go to work; you may make your own decisions in this regard. A spouse has no legal power to make his/her spouse work in the United States. He may of course divorce you, if you and he have irreconcilable differences about how to live, who should work, who should care for your child, etc. Just as he can't force you to work, you could not force him to stay married if he chooses to leave you (just as you, of course, could leave him for the same reasons--that you are too different in what you want out of life or the marriage).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.