Can HR Block refuse me a copy of my jointly filed taxes?

My ex-wife called HR Block and demanded they refuse to give me an unaltered copy
of my 2017 taxes. They are saying I can only have a copy if I consent to them
using white-out on any information my ex-wife wants to refuse.

I need our combined AGI and address used on the tax return or I cannot file my
current year 2018 taxes. Are they not required to provide an unaltered copy?

Asked on March 1, 2019 under Family Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

No, they cannot refuse: this was the filed legal document and they may not alter it. They have no right or authority to alter a filed tax return or redact information from it. That said, you may wish to contact the IRS and request a copy from them first, since to force HR Block to give you the return against their will would require legal action and a court order; it may be easier to get it from the IRS.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.