Can HOA force me to remove a washer and dryer in my condo, even if it predated my ownership of the unit?

HOA just sent a notice saying many units in condo complex have washers and dryers, installation of which was never approved by condo board. Also, these W&D’s require electrical and plumbing connections into complex’s systems, which needed to be permitted by the city but probably weren’t. I bought my condo 10 years ago, largely because it had a W&D. Now they say I have to remove the W&D, plus arrange to have the illegal modification returned to original state, which requires hiring contractors and getting permitting from the city for that work. Do I have any recourse?

Asked on June 25, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not your HOA can force you to remove a washer and dryer in your owned unit that pre-dates your ownership of the unit depends upon what the recorded covenants, conditions and restrictions state as well as all other rules and regulations of the association. As such, you need to carefully read such documents to come up with the answer that you seek.

As to any lawsuit against the prior owner of the condominium owner given the close more than ten (10) years ago is time barred by your state's statute of limitations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.