Can heirs place a time limit or other restiction on administrators in a renunciation in an estate matter?

Due to bickering about which one of us should serve as executor of my parents’ estate, my siblings and I decided to let our lawyers act as estate administrators. But I’ve heard some horror stories about people who did this and had to wait years to see any money and even lawyers investing the estate’s money in enterprises that benefitted them alone. The will does give the administartors the right to invest money from the estate as they see fit. Could we add language to the renunciation mandating a strict time limit on their administration and restricions on their activities?

Asked on August 16, 2012 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You could try but I am not sure that it would be legally binding on the administrators.  They can do as they see fit "in the best interests of the estate" and the law would probably back them up.  What you do have is the right to make sure that they are doing things properly and ask for an accounting of the estate.  Think about it again. ANd make sure you understand all the fees associatied here - as administrators and legal fees.  They will be plentiful. Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.