Can employer stop paying holidays after having paid them for a year?

I work part-time at 2 dental offices. My bosses agreed to split my holiday pay and each gave me 4 hours. However, 1 boss retired but new boss agreed to pay me the 4 hours for the holidays and did so for a year. Now, out of nowhere, she yanked all my holiday pay from me. Is this legal? From what I’ve read, it was an

established policy since she had paid my holidays for a year, therefore they can’t take them away.

Asked on October 10, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

An company may change a policy at its sole discretion, that is unless the policy in question was written in a union agreement or employment contract. Also, the change must not have been due to some form of legally actionable discrimination, which does not appear to be the case in your situation. Bottom line, in "at will" employment (which most is) a business can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Employers may change their policies, even established or long-standing ones, at will, unless that policy was in a written employment contract for a definite term or period of time (e.g. a one-year contract) which was still in effect. Except as set forth in a contract, policies are subject to change at will, so your boss could do this unless you had a contract to the contrary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.