Can employer deduct money from check without my consent?

I worked for couple months part-time as an office administrator for couple months for dance school. They took a 3 week break for Christmas after putting on recital. I was also in the play and was also asked to be stage manager week before play as she fired 2 people. I recieved my last check by direct deposit and was not as much as expected. I went in for 2 days in Jan and then they wanted to meet with me. They put me off for months and kept cancelling and never paid for Jan days so sent request to labor board for my time sheets, etc. They sent them finally to me and state and they wrote all these mistakes I supposedly made etc. One of them was accidentally charged clients credit card $1,400. Instead of 14.00 which was reversed next day. Also, one morning they called yelling at me about I was

asked by teacher to open that morning which she never asked me. Went down to open and teacher was there and apologized to me in front of the owner as she actually asked someone else. Anyway in the paperwork they deducted $12.50 for not opening and $86.00 for the card mistake as they gave client a credit for mistake. They did not inform me or get my approval to do this. I want to know if this was legal?

Asked on April 22, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Nevada


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unless you gave writtend permission for such a deduction, your employer cannot make simple withold money from your paycheck (other than those required by law). This doesn't mean that you don't owe the money, just that your employer will have to work out a repayment plan with you or sue you in court for any amounts owed. It cannot take your wages without your consent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.