Can an employer change pay rate without notice?

I am currently being told by my employer that they can no longer afford to at my current salary. They have discussed keeping me but moving me into a different role that is commission based. I have not accepted that change as of yet, and no one from HR has been involved in discussing this change or ending employment. I as this change is being discussed am I still technically employed at my current pay rate until officially noticed of any change? I still have access to all the company networks and email and have been doing some work for them. Can they tell me today that my last date at old pay rate was actually in the past, or does the pay rate or termination become effective upon official notice?

Asked on April 6, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Until you receive official notice otherwise, you should still be paid your current salary. The fact is that an employer cannot retoactively cut an employee's wages. However, once you are given express notification of the decrease, all wages going forward will be at the new rate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.