Can citizens from Slovakia get divorced in the U.S.?

My husband and I were married in Slovakia; we now live in the U.S. More than a year ago, he bought me an airplane ticket and forced me to move to a different state where I currently live with my son. He doesn’t want to do an official separation statement. He told me that we can’t get divorced here. Is it possible for me to file for divorce or because of my immigration status, is it better for me to ask for legal separation? I am legal resident of the U.S. and am considering becoming a citizen.

Asked on October 24, 2017 under Family Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Even if you were married in another country, you can still obtain a divorce in the U.S. That is so long a you are a legal resident in the state in which you want to file. Typically residency is established after about 6 months of living there, however you'll need to check online for specific state law. Additionally, you need not be a U.S. citizen to file for a divorce in this country. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.