Can charges be refiled after an acquittal?

I went to trial on child abuse charges a month ago and the jury hung, When I went back in in mid-July to get my retrial scheduled. The judge acquitted me on the charge. Yesterday I was served a summons to return to court next month to have charges of child abuse, from the same incident, filed against me. Isn’t this considered double jeopardy? I had a court appointed lawyer for my trial so I will have to go into court with no legal representation, and I am afraid that since I don’t know the law that well, the district attorney and the judge will just have their way with me.

Asked on July 29, 2010 under Criminal Law, Kansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Double jeopardy is a common law and constitutional right given by the 5th Amendment which prevents a second prosecution after a first trial of the same offense.  Your first trial resulted in a hing jury. As for what the Judge did, it is unclear.  Are you sure that he did not just "dismiss" the charges based upon some failure on the part of the Prosecutor to do something that they rectified and then refiled charges?  As for not having an attorney, you will have another appointed as well.  And do not say anything except ask that an attorney be appointed for you on the record.  And I would call your first attorney in the meantime and ask him what happened in July and what it all means. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.