Can anyone besides the person who holds your lease, evict you or assess late fees?

My landlord is going through a divorce and the judge has ordered us to pay our rent to her ex-husband even though he does not work for the company who holds our lease. We are behind in our rent and the company which holds our lease has said they will not charge us late fees or evict us for the time being and her husbands attorney is saying that they can evict us or charge us late fees if they want, even though the company who we have our lease agreement with has said that they won’t. Can they do that?

Asked on November 10, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If there has been a court order directing you to do or not to do something concerning the rental that you are occupying, you are to obey the court order presumably served upon you

Failure to do so could very well result in an order to show cause regarding contempt of the court order that you are writing about. I would issue your rent check to the ex-husband and state on the memorandum of the check "per court order" and the the filed date on it to protect yourself. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.