Can any charges be brought against me if my name is on the title of my 18-year old son’s car and he is caught with any drugs or paraphernalia in the vehicle?

Asked on September 22, 2014 under Criminal Law, Iowa


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It is unclear if they would charge you criminally if you had no idea what was happening but they can - under some statutes - they could take the car entirely.  And if they found the stuff as a result of an accident then your assets becomes exposed due to his negligence in operating a car.  And I would bet your insurance company disclaims coverage.  Speak to him and re think this.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.