Can an officer check off another violation on a ticket after it has already been signed by myself for a different violation without my consent?

I received an unreasonable noise amplification ticket at my home. I read and signed the ticket after making sure with the officer that that was all i was being charged with. Regretfully i lied about my age at first, but came clean and told the officers the truth right after. After hearing that the officer said ” Well you already signed it” in a condescending tone and checked off the “Nuisance Party” gave me the ticket and left. Now i have no clue what I’m really being charged with and I completely disagree with the change

Asked on May 24, 2009 under Criminal Law, Colorado


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Officers can change people with whatever they want to.  The question is whether the charges stick at the end of the day.  As a result, i strongly suggest that you go to court on the court date and find out exactly whart the charges are.  The state's atty will tell you what you are charged with and you can then make a decision whether you want to admit guilt of hire a lawyer to se if he can get the charges thrown out.  I suggest that you avoid arguing with the state's atty about the case of trying to get out of it yourself.  Tell the state's atty that you think you need to hire a lawyer after he tells you the charges.  if he will give you a break and let you pay a charitable contibution in exchange for dropping the charge or let you do some comm. service, then take the deal, otherwise hire a lawyer as you do not want to have a criminal record if you can avoid it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.