Can an Irish person marry an F1 visa holder in the states?

I’m Irish and my boyfriend is Korean living in the states for 10 years on a
student visa. He is graduating next year and will do OPT. We have been doing long
distance for a long time and plan to get married next year. Firstly, can we get
married in the states? Andsecondly when we are married officially, what is the
procedure for me to be able to stay by his side in the US? Thanks

Asked on September 12, 2017 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can marry in the United States and once you are married you can apply for a dependent visa such as the F-2 (if he is still in F-1 status) to continue to remain in the US lawfully as his spouse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.