Can an internet service provider charge you for months after you have moved out of the residence if you called and put a temporary suspension on the account?

I have called to put a seasonal cancellation on my internet service 2 months ago. However, now they are charging me 2 months of service due to not calling them last month o give a new address. I don’t recall them telling me to call back to provide that and that I have 6 months. Is it legal for them to charge me for service though I no longer live at the residence as of 3 months ago?

Asked on August 20, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is entirely possible for an internet provider to send a cusotmer an invoice months after one has moved out of the residence despite the customer having called and made a call to place a temporary suspension of the service. What you have is a classic dispute between a provider and customer where you need to speak with a person with the provider's account's receivable department to try and resolve the amount in dispute. What the provider is doing does not seem illegal per se with respect to the invoices you are receiving.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.