Can an injured teacher sue a school district?

I was injured breaking up a fight after entering a classroom full of unattended
students not my classroom. I am having trouble with my lower back and neck and
have required x-rays, MRI, and physical therapy. Worker’s comp is paying for
medical bills and my time out. If my injuries are proven to be long term or have
a life long effect, do I have a case against the school district? For example, I
can no longer stand for more than a 20 minutes at a time, or go up and down
stairs without discomfort. This hinders my ability to perform a job that I have
done for over 20 years.

Asked on November 1, 2019 under Personal Injury, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

You are likely entitled to Worker's Compensation, since it is an on-the-job injury. 
Worker's compensation is likely your only recourse. You would not be able to sue the school district in most cases unless you can prove that the district's negligence or carelessness caused your injury, which is very difficult to do when the injury is caused by being attacked by or in the middle of a fight between other people: the school is not liable for the students' essentially criminal and deliberately wrongful act unless you can prove the school district's actions contributed in a material way to the fight and your injuriues occuring.
Also, if you get and do take Worker's Comp, it is an exclusive remedy against the district; the law gives you Worker's Comp or let's you try suing, if you believe you have a case--you can't do both. Most injured workers take the WC since it is guaranteed and you get it faster; lawsuits can take many months or even years, and you are not certain of winning.
You could sue the families of the students who hurt you, if you believe they have enough money to make suing worthwhile: parents/legal guardians are liable for the wrongful acts of their minors.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.