Can an individual with full physical custody and joint legal custody move to another state with the child because of a job opportunity, if the opposing party does not want the child to move?

Asked on January 24, 2013 under Family Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Good question. Unless there is a court order in place precluding a move with the minor child under the fact pattern of your matter, the parent with full physical custody ordinarily can move with the child over the objection of the other parent. However, before the move happens, it is wise for the custodial parent to file a petition with the court seeking an order allowing a move with the minor child.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.