Can an Indian owned casino hire new waitresses at a base pay of$25 an hourand pay the older waitresses $8.75 an hour?

They are advertising to replace us older waitresses. Hiring young girls to show a lot of skin and cannot be over a size 8 (many of us are not over an 8). Ad said must have cheerleader physical appearance. We have been with casino since it opened and have very good reviews. They also said if we discussed with anyone we will be fired on the spot.

Asked on December 1, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I believe that even Native American owned businesses are bound by the federal laws preventing discrimination in employment (though note: they are *not* bound by all labor or employment law). If that is the case, then what you describe may well constitute an illegal form of discrimination--such as age based, if they are paying waitresses older than 40 less than younger ones. You may wish to contact the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and/or the equivalent agency in your state. Alternately, you could speak with an attorney about bringing a lawsuit, either on your own or together with other affected waitresses. Since tribal law and tribal sovereignty complicate the matter, you might try contacting, if possible, a lawyer with Native American law experience--while normally, the best bet would be an employment attorney for a case like this, it may be more important to get someone who understands the interaction of tribal sovereignty and federal law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.