Can an F1 student who has been studying in the US for 5 years change her status and apply for residency?

Asked on June 8, 2014 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Possibly but not solely on the basis of having been studying in the US for 5 years.  There has to be an underlying basis for the petition for residency, either employment-based or family-based.  The only way to self petition is on the basis of qualifying as an alien of extraordinary ability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.