Can an ex husband determine how long you must wait when you have a boyfriend to introduce him to your kids?

I got a divorce. in the divorce decree it says parent must be in a committed relationship before introducing kids. I have not excessively introduced my kids to other people. This will be the second man. My ex husband is trying to say I cant bring him around for 6 months to a year and I refuse so he said he is bringing me to court. Does he have a leg to stand on? I am in a committed relationship

Asked on April 2, 2018 under Family Law, Wisconsin


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Please understand that this will all turn on the specific facts of the case: prior actions, age of children, etc., and it is hard to make that determination here without all of the information. What is a "committed relationship" differs from person to person and again, the facts of every case.  But if your ex is determined to make an issue about it and bring you to court then think about offering a compromise, for the sake of the children.  Perhaps start small and offer not having him stay over while the kids are there but allow outings and lunches, etc., outside the home.  Would he go for that?  Perhaps not ntroduce him as a boyfrined so that the kids don't get attached just in case.  Can he bring you to court? Yes.  What will be the outcome?  Crapshoot.  Best you decide between you than the court.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.