Can an employer withhold employee information from another employer.

My husband was fired because he applied for another job
and his boss found out. His ex-boss now won’t
sign papers showing he worked there. We live in NC. Is this legal?

Thank you

Asked on September 11, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It is legal: there is no law requiring an employer to help a former or terminated employee out by filing out any papers or providing other documentation in regards to employment (e.g. whether to confirm employment or otherwise). It is purely voluntary on the part of the former employer to do this, and they can refuse to do so if they wish.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.