Can an employer take away your hourly wage and replace it with a”piece per hour” amount?

Asked on August 19, 2011 Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your employer has changed the terms of your employment unilaterally - on their own - then you have a right not to work their any longer.  If you have an employment contract then the terms of the contract must be Folloeed.  But if you are an employee at will then an employer has a lot more discretion regarding the terms of employment.  I would contact your state department of labor and speak with them about what is going on.  What happened may in fact qualify as a reduction in pay or in essence being "fired" from your job and you may be able to file for unemployment.  I would check in to that.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.