Can an employer stop giving you an anual increase?

I am currently employed as a contractor at my
company, I got there as a student for a duration
of a year. The following year as I was about to
complete my inservice training I got an anual
increase as the permanent employees did and
was also offered a 18 months contract which
started on July 2016 and ending on December
2017. The problem is that this year I was not
given an increase, is this allowed?

Asked on October 11, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There is no law whatsoever requiring annual increases or any other kinds of raises: it is purely voluntary on the part of the employer when, to whom, and how much to give as raises, and the employer may freely decide to not give an increase. If you had a written employment contract or were subject to/covered by a union contract guarantying you an increase, they'd have to follow the terms of the contract and give you the raise; but without a contract, they are free to not give you an annual increase.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.