Can an employer still pay you salary without overtime if your position and duties are changed?

I was employed with a LLC for 2 years I managed a store and had employees report directly to me. Then for the last 2 years, I’ve worked in their other stores but no longer as a manager yet performing the same job duties as other hourly based paid employees although I’m still paid salary with no overtime. I worked a minimum of 10 hours a week overtime. Is there any recourse?

Asked on October 1, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It is possible that if you no longer manage anyone, that you are no longer exempt from overtime, since one of the most common overtime exemptions, the "Executive" exemption which really ought to be called the "Managerial" exemption, since it applies to non-excecutive managers requires managing other persons as one of its criteria. 
Note if you are non-exempt, you must be paid overtime, but still can be paid a salary--there are salaried staff who receive extra pay for working more than 40 hours in a week, if they do not meet any of the tests to be exempt from overtime.
Go to the U.S. Department of Labor website and look at the tests to see if someone is exempt from overtime. Pay particular attention to the executive and administrative tests. If you don't meet the criteria for an exemption, you may be owed overtime. If so, you could either speak with an employment law attorney about bringing a lawsuit for the back overtime you are owed, or else speak with your state labor department about filing a wage and hour complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.