Can an employer not pay you for a shift worked

I was hired in at a company to
do home health aide work I
only worked one day a week
which was every Sunday. two
weeks ago I had to call in
because of a personal reasons
the next day she text me
stating she filed the
position. Can she keep my last
check?? She said i cost her
money but i called in?

Asked on September 5, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You must be paid for all time worked. This is true whether or not you have been terminated for cause. At this point, you can either sue your former employer in small claims court and/or file a wage complaint with your state's department of labor.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

No, she cannot keep your paycheck. Even if you are terminated for good cause, you must be paid for all work you did up to when you were terminated. You could sue your employer for the money; a cost-effective option is to sue in small claims court, as your own attorney or "pro se."

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.