Can an employer legally refuse to pay you for travel time from out of town property back to your home community?

I am a Benefits Specialist. As part of my job duties, once a month I am expected to travel to 2 out of town properties for benefit enrollment meetings on 1 day assignments. As of 2 days ago, I was told that to

Asked on May 25, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If they are requiring you to either start at the corporate office or return/finish at the corporate office--i.e. you are traveling to and/or from your corporate office to the offsite location--they have to pay you: travel done from the office to other locations is considered work, since it is not part of your regular commute and are doing it during the workday (since it begins and/or ends at the workplace). 
Also any non-overnight trip (e.g. there and back again in the same day) directly to or from your home is also work time and must be paid except that they don't need to pay you for an amount of time equal to your regular commute. For example, if you normal commute to work is 1/2 hour and the trip to the other location is 2 hours, since they normally would not have to pay you for 1/2 of traveling to get to your, they only have to pay for the "extra" hour-and-a-half of travel.
For overnights where you leave/return directly from home, if you travel during work hours, you must be paid for the time; if you travel not during work time, however, they would not have to pay you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.