Can an employer legally pay their employees with a post dated payroll check?

Asked on August 28, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your pay must be available to you on pay day if it is not, then the employer has breached their obligations and you may have a leal claim against the employer. Of course, if the check does clear, just a few days or week later, there's no point, as a practical matter, to bringing a legal action i.e. suing or filing a complaint with the labor department the compensation you could receive is related to the injury or loss, and the injury or loss from having your check clear a few days late is, at least in monetary terms, so small as to not support receiving compensation and if the check does clear shortly after, then it will have cleared before the legal action or complaint even comes up.
If this is an ongoing pattern, then it probably is worth contacting the labor department, since they may be able to get the employer to pay you on time going forward if it's an ongoing pattern, it's also worth looking for a different job, since, this may indicate some financial problem on the part of the company, if they can't afford to pay you on time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.