Can an employer fire you for a comment you post on Facebook if it did not contain specific names or departments?

I was fired on 03/15 from my full-time job as an EMT for posting a comment about another EMT’s attitude. I was working at my part-time job as a 911 dispatcher and was very busy on 2 critical calls. An EMT on 1 of the runs was giving me a hard time and a lot of attitude over the radio. I posted a comment after I was off work about her attitude. My ex-boss called me later that evening and asked me what my post was about. I told him part of it was about the other EMT. He stopped me mid-sentence and said he couldn’t have me bashing the department, that I was no longer needed, and to turn in my key.

Asked on March 22, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Kentucky


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I'm afraid that unless you have an employment contract or union agreement to the contrary, or there is some form of form of workplace discrimination involved, your employer had every right to do this.  In an "at will" employment relationship an employer can basically mandate whatever it wants, including firing an employee for any reason (or no reason) and without notice.  The fact is that your problem has become more and more common. In the future, I'm sure you'll be vigilant about not posting anything that you wouldn't want an employer to see.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.