Can an employer deny you the contract they have with the company where you work?

I work full time hours for a staffing
company for a contracted site that
gives us details on duties. So, the
only thing I have to with the staffing
company is recieve a check. The
have not given a raise in four
years. And according to the
company that pays the staffing
company they are to give annual
increases. I have asked several
times for a copy of the contract that
I work under and just get the run
around and no contract. Any
advise would be appreciated.

Asked on March 18, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

They have no legal obligation whatsoever to show you this contract. You are not a party to it (i.e. you are not one of the persons or business who signed the contract or entered into it); a non-party to a contract has no legal right to see it. Even if you did see it, and even if it did call for a raise for you, you could not enforce that--again, you are not a party to the contract and have no rights under it. The contracted site could, if the contract requires staff raises, force your employer to give the raises if it chose to do so: as a party to the contract, it has the right to enforce the contract's terms.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.