Can an Employer Demand their Employees Not Provide References?

My school district is not renewing some teachers contracts union busting… it’s
being pursued legally. As an extra measure to show how serious they are,
they’ve decreed that no one is supposed to provide references or letters of
recommendation for the teachers whose contracts are not being renewed. Do
they have any power to do that?

Asked on March 15, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

Absent an employment contract or union agreement to the contrary, your employer can do this. It is perfectly permissable under the law. A company or business can set the conditions of employment so long as no form of legally actionable discrimination plays a role.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

Yes, they can do this unless there is currently a contract in place in some way protecting the right to give or receive references. In the absence of a contract to the contrary, employers may set rules for employment and those rules may include barring the giving of references. Note that there is no inherent or intrinsic right in law to give or receive a reference.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.