Can an employer deduct money from my check for missing receipts for purchases made on a company issued credit card?

Asked on November 6, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, the employer cannot deduct money from your paycheck for this reason unless you consent (or agree) to let them do this. They may, however, terminate you for not being able to substantiate or back-up (i.e. provide receipts for) the expenses, and/or could sue you to recover money from you if they feel some of the charges were not for business, but were to benefit you peronally or were otherwise not authorized. If they do deduct the money without your consent, you could sue them for the money or contract the state department of labor and look into filing a complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.