Can an employer cut your pay

I have worked for a company in CT. for
15 years.
I quit and went to work elsewhere.
2 weeks later I returned , I lost my
seniority but they kept my pay scale the
same as before for 3 months.
Then all of sudden they cut my pay
scale back to minimum wage.
Can they do this ?
Thanks for your help

Asked on May 6, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Connecticut


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Do you have an employment contract or union agreement that prohibits such a reduction in pay? Is your treatment a form of legally actionable discrimination (although you did not indicate this to be the case)? Otherwise, you are an "at will" worker. This means that your company can set the conditions of your employment much as it sees fit, including how much to pay you and changing that compensation when it chooses. The only recourse you may have is if your wages were changed retroactively (i.e. after the fact). In other words, if you were at a set wage, it could not have been changed after you performed your work. Such a change can only be for hours that you have not yet worked (i.e. for work hours going forward). 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.